Monday, September 6, 1993

Is Hogwarts Safe...??

This year once again is crazy. Is there ever any time when there isn't something bizarre happening here? I don't know..

To start off, of course, Harry and Ron couldn't get on the train. Then come to find out that Dobby (that silly house elf that somehow adores Harry), actually closed the barrier, because he didn't want Harry coming back to Hogwarts! Who does this elf think he is, really!! Then, there was the creepy message written on the wall, in...blood? and Mrs. Norris, Filch's cat was hung on the wall! (Don't worry she wasn't dead, just Petrified). The message said that the Chamber of Secrets had been opened. What even is the Chamber of Secrets? No one knew, so I took it upon myself to go to the library and find out. But not even the library really had anything on it, other than it was a hidden chamber deep beneath Hogwarts, and that some kind of monster lived there. I even tried asking Professor Binns about it, but he just said it was a myth and we should be focusing on facts or something like that. It really was quite unfortunate that absolutely nothing had information on it. Then, all of a sudden students started to get Petrified! STUDENTS! This made a lot of parents start to call their children home because of course, no one wants their child to be Petrified! 

This prompted Professor Lockhart to begin a Duelling Club, which was pretty cool, except it only met once, because it went so poorly. Basically, Lockhart and Snape were the ones running it, and Snape made Harry and Malfoy partners, and Malfoy created a snake to attack Harry, and then we learnt that Harry was a Parselmouth. So, you know, that was great. Now everyone was terrified of Harry, and Ron and I by default.

Additionally, before Christmas Harry became convinced that Malfoy was the Heir of Slytherin (the one who supposedly opened the Chamber of Secrets), and he wanted a way to get some information out of him. So, of course, I offered to help, and we created a draught of Polyjuice Potion. I was very proud of it! It was a very complicated potion, and I managed to get it right! Of course, it would have helped if I hadn't pulled one of Millicent Bulstrode's CAT's hairs off her robes. I spent the next few weeks in the hospital wing looking like a cat. It was absolutely terrible! I missed so much school and had to do so much catching up. Fortunately, the potion worked for Ron and Harry though, and they were able to sneak into the Slytherin common room and talk to Malfoy. Unfortunately, they did not learn anything, other than Malfoy doesn't know who the Heir is either. So it was a useless endeavor. But I did still manage to make that potion which was impressive. 

And then, well, I decided to do some research into what on earth could be petrifying people, as Harry claims he kept hearing voices. I did a lot of searching in the library, and I couldn't really find much, but then one day, I was looking through an encyclopedia and something caught my eye. A Basilisk... At the time I thought I remembered learning about them, which piqued my interest. I read the entry, and I knew at once that this is what was terrorizing the school. I ripped the page out of the book - this was an emergency after all, and raced out the library. As I was looking for Harry and Ron, I realized that the Basilisk must only be Petrifying people because they never looked at it directly, so it must be using some hidden means to get around the school. Then it dawned on me, the pipes/vents all around the school!! I quickly scrawled that down on the paper and held it tightly. I then headed towards the common room. On a whim, I  used my compact to peer around the corner leading to the common room. And then I saw it...A great beast peering out the ceiling at me! And then.....nothing. 

I woke up a couple months later. Apparently, a lot happened then, including Harry and Ron being dumb, and not seeing the paper I held, and then eventually Harry found the Chamber of Secrets, fought the Basilisk, and met Voldemort? Crazy, I know, but I'm sure its true. 

Overall, I just have to say that losing a couple months of your life is an extremely weird feeling. I would not reccommend it to anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment