Friday, December 16, 1994

The Triwizard Tournament: Part One

And so, the year has begun. Of course, starting off on a wild note, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons have joined us in the castle. It has caused higher tensions than usual, as the professors seem to feel as though they are being constantly evaluated, and are therefore much more strict. Fred and George attempted to age themselves up to put their name in the Goblet of Fire, which is the device which chooses the names of the competitors. Of course, it didn't work, Dumbledore is much too clever for that.

And so the day came on which the names of the competitors would be determined. First called: Viktor Krum, from Durmstrang (also the famous Quidditch player Ron has been absolutely fawning over). Next: Fleur Delacour, from Beauxbatons. Lastly: Cedric Diggory, from Hogwarts. But then the Goblet didn't stop, its flame didn't go out. Most peculiarly it spat out another piece of paper. Dumbledore cautiously grabbed this one, looked at it and hesitantly called out "Harry Potter". How? How could Harry have gotten his name in there? How could Hogwarts have 2 champions? It just wasn't fair! I didn't want Harry to do this, but once the Goblet of Fire has chosen someone it's like a blood contract. You can't not participate. It was a horrible day. Everyone seemed to be mad at Harry, and he was miserable, as he, of course, hadn't put his name in.

Anyway, the year resumed, classes continued, and the hype around the tournament died down. Then, one day, about a week before the tournament harry came racing back to the castle after visiting Hagrid and told us that he knew the first task. They were going to have to do something with dragons, probably fetch something from them. Ron and I looked apprehensively at him; dragons were hard to deal with! We tried to think of many different ways that Harry could perhaps deal with this creature, but nothing came to mind. Then, one night I had a brainwave! Why didn't harry just use his broomstick? He was clearly an excellent flier. He patiently reminded me that he couldn't bring it with him into the tournament, but he forgot that we had been learning Summoning Charms in Charms class! He could summon the broom to him! So we started working. Harry had struggled with the charms in class, so we practiced non-stop. 

Eventually, it was the day of the tournament, and I was so nervous. Harry hadn't mastered the charm, but we didn't really have a backup plan, so it had better work! I met him in the competitor's tent and gave him one last hug before I had to leave. He was the last one to compete!

Viktor, Fleur and Cedric all managed to fetch the egg from their dragon, some a little closer to getting injured than others, but they all managed. Then it was Harry's turn. He aced the Summoning Charm (not going to lie, I was really proud of him), and he (narrowly) managed to retrieve the egg. 

Thank goodness he wasn't hurt. I was so glad when they announced the age line, as then no one I knew would be entering the tournament, and now Harry is in it! So much for a peaceful/calm year...

No comments:

Post a Comment